Friday 11 March 2011

Silver linings


I was going to post a photo of some crocuses that are growing near work, but something else happened today that completely usurped them!

Firstly, I got to cuddle a squishy newborn(ish) baby. On a day where the news is full of sadness and anxiety provoking images, it felt good to hold a new life.

But, secondly, and more importantly to me right now, I got a completely out of the blue text message from an old friend who I'd lost contact with through nothing more exciting than life taking different paths and a natural drifting apart. The text didn't even make sense initially, but to be fair, it came through when I was driving home and I only glanced at it quickly when I was stopped at the traffic lights. There was no name on it and it started with the words "I saw a dead bumble bee today." Now, while there are a couple of people who might send me such a random text, there'd always be a comfortable, familiar name to accompany it, and this had none. As soon as I had the opportunity to pull over and read it properly I did. And the rest of it made perfect sense.

Nothing major. Nothing earth shattering. The thing is though, I've had a pretty crappy few weeks, and this is the kind of thing that makes me smile.

Not to mention that getting back in touch with old friends who were once good friends can never be a bad thing.

Oh, and in case you're interested, the reference to the dead bumble bee was from an incident about 12 years ago when an autistic child I was working with at the time ate one. I'd forgotten completely, but largely because my life is full of kids who eat various things that most of us consider pretty inedible.

No comments:

Post a Comment