Thursday 18 November 2010

It's been a long time, old friend

My poor blog. I'm sure it's feeling sorely neglected at the moment. I'm not sure why I'm picking tonight to update it, given that I had 4 hours of very broken sleep last night, have a weird buzzing caffeine induced headache and really should be in bed!

Anyway, some things:
Tyran and Hayley are both still alive! This is despite their best efforts to drive me to drink or murder! Actually, that's not really fair to say. We had a very rocky few weeks, but the general vibe in the house was one of stress. Largely due to my horrible job I must say, but that's another story that I don't wish to tell and frankly, you don't wish to hear. I'm making a concerted effort to be a nicer mum.

Tyran has been invited by the Gifted and Talented co-ordinator teacher at his school to be a "Young Interpreter". A few kids have been picked to receive training on how best to help EAL (English as an Additional Language) pupils settle in to school. He's so excited, even though I think it sounds truly boring. Still, it's nice that his teacher is continuing to extend him and challenge him and make sure he stays interested in school.

Hayley is doing really well. She's a different child since starting school, and a really different child *at* school! I'm a little shocked at some of the work she's doing, but her teacher is sensitive to her emotional needs, while meeting her academic ones. She's a little besotted with Tyran's teacher at the moment. Little cards and notes are being handed over regularly!

That letter reads "Dear Miss Conu (connor) You are the best teecher in the werld" All her own work.

I've also managed to successfully make my first wedding cake. I was VERY nervous about this. It's someone's wedding day after all, and I don't want to be responsible for messing it up in any way. Not what I would have chosen in terms of colour, I hasten to add, but it grew on me over the course of the 2 weeks it took to make and in the end I was pretty fond of that cake! Roses, etc all made from scratch - it was very time consuming.



There was also a very quick Halloween cake that was made in the middle of doing the wedding cake. Not my finest hour, but it's not hideous.

I didn't plan the witch, she just sort of happened that way. It was only when Debbie mentioned that she looked just like Liewe Heksie that I realised how much that must have stuck in my mind for all these years.

And then tonight I've finished a painted cake for the grandmother of a work colleague. I think I've done what she wanted. I'm worried it's a little over the top, but like I said at the beginning, I'm exhausted tonight and shouldn't be doing anything that requires any kind of judgement and skill!



And lastly, before I stumble, bleary eyes to do the ironing for tomorrow before collapsing into bed, some pictures of my very lovely children can be found on Flickr as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment