Monday 31 August 2009

Camping


Yes, we've finally worn Anthony down! He ordered a tent and off we went yesterday for one night of "let's see how this goes" camping.

Well, it could have been worse. I mean, the rain could have started at 6pm instead of 11pm. It could have been minus 12 instead of just 12. The wind could have been gale force. You get the picture I'm sure.

Anyway, the kids loved it. They were so excited about the whole thing, helped us set the tent up, sorted out sleeping arrangements, helped cook dinner, and generally treated the whole thing as one big adventure.

Hayley did wake a good few times in the night to inform me that "I don't think I like hunting anymore, I wish we'd never come", but I suspect that was more to do with the fact that I'd withheld her dummy from her than her disliking camping. She also managed to migrate across the tent to sleep at Anthony's feet, which made me panic when I woke up and couldn't find her. Anthony snored virtually all night, though he claims he hardly slept! Tyran slept like a log and only woke up at 6.45, which is very late for him!

Things we've learned for next time:
- toasting marshmallows is FUN, mostly for me.

- small fires are pointless

- some really decent air mattresses are a must

- the tent is ludicrously easy to put up and take down

- don't forget the tea and coffee!!

- never rely on the fact that it's "summer". Always listen to Kerry and takes hats and coats.

No comments:

Post a Comment