Friday 7 August 2009

Alice in Wonderland

Angelika showed me a flyer for this a while ago, so off we went to Brockwell Park yesterday to watch an outdoor production of Alice in Wonderland. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but what can I say other than it exceeded all expectations and was wonderful. It did highlight just how odd the book is, but the kids didn't seem to notice, having been subjected to it as part of story time every night for the past 2 weeks.

To start with we all sat on mats on the grass and watched the beginning. All very normal, until the caterpillar got off his mushroom and started singing the rhyme "You are old Father William" to a reggae beat and tune. Absolutely hilarious! All 3 kids were enraptured!


Once that was over, we got up and followed the troupe through to the walled garden, where we met the Cheshire Cat.


From there it was time to go to the Mad Hatter's Tea Party, which was, well... mad! But very well presented.


Sadly, I missed out on the Mock Turtle and Gryphon bit because I was too busy recovering from whacking my head on a tree (entirely my own fault) and staring at ladybirds. Did you know that Britain has been invaded by ladybirds this week? No, me either until I saw a news story on it today. Anyway, explains all the ladybirds I saw once I stopped seeing stars. The Mock Turtle and Gryphon bit was highly amusing (to me anyway, but bear in mind I'd just been walloped by a tree!). The did the "Will you walk a little faster" poem to music, but in a very serious Elizabethan style of song and dance.

From there we went off to meet the King and Queen of Hearts and all that they brought with them, including a very clever use of pink umbrellas to make flamingos for the croquet match.


Who stole the tarts?


Tyran, Hayley and Jasmine completely mesmerised by the whole thing.

They absolutely loved it and begged to go and see the afternoon performance too. We said no, but were by the paddling pool, so they sat on a bench and watched what they could from there. They spent the rest of the afternoon acting it all out.

Hm, reading some of this over, I realise just how weird the whole book is, and that if you haven't read it, this entire post will make no sense to you at all. Mind you, there's no guarantee that having read the book will shed any light on what I've written.

No comments:

Post a Comment